E-file FAQ’s

IRS E-file FAQ’s

What is an Authorized e-file Provider?
An Authorized IRS e-file Provider is a tax professional or firm accepted into the IRS electronic filing program. One type of Authorized IRS e-file Provider is an Electronic Return Originator (ERO). An ERO is a person or firm that taxpayers entrust with tax information for the purpose of filing income tax returns electronically to the IRS.

What do I gain by using IRS e-file?

Accuracy! Security! Electronic Signatures! Proof of Acceptance! Fast Refunds with Direct Deposit! Electronic Payment Options! Federal/State e-file! Only IRS e-file offers these advantages.

Do I really get my refund Faster?

With IRS e-file, you get it back in half the time. It even faster and safer if you have your refund deposited directly to your bank account in as few as 10 days. Ask your ERO for the estimated date of deposit.

If I owe, how do I pay my taxes electronically?

You can authorize an electronic funds withdrawal from your checking or savings account at the time your Tax Year 2003 Form 1040 series individual tax return is electronically prepared. You can also pay by credit card or use the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System.

How can I pay my taxes by electronic funds withdrawal from my checking or savings account?

TaxEngine.com allows you to e-file a balance due return and, at the same time, authorize an electronic funds withdrawal from your checking or savings account. The withdrawal cannot be authorized after the return is transmitted. You can schedule a withdrawal for a future date up to and including April 15, 2004. TaxEngine.com includes instructions on the information needed to complete the payment including your bank account number and the routing transit number of your financial institution. Check with your financial institution to be sure that electronic fund transfers can be authorized from your designated bank account (money management accounts, money market accounts, certificate of deposit accounts and some credit union savings accounts do not allow for such transactions). Your tax payment will be listed on your bank statement as a “United States Treasury Tax Payment as proof of payment. Additionally, you receive an electronic acknowledgement once your electronic return is received and accepted.

Note: There are no additional transaction charges for electronic funds withdrawals authorized to pay taxes.

Note: Only authorized withdrawals can be made. No other funds can legally be withdrawn.

How can I pay my taxes by credit card and which credit cards are accepted?

Credit card payments must be made electronically. You may pay by calling a toll-free service (1-800-2PAY-TAXSM or 1-888-PAY-1040SM) or accessing the Internet (Official Paymentsor PAY 1040). All major credit cards (Discover Card, MasterCard card, Visa card and American Express) are accepted. You can make partial payments by phone or Internet, but there is a limit to the maximum number of payments for each type of tax. If you pay by credit card, you delay out-of-pocket expenses and may earn miles, points, rewards or money back from your credit card issuer. You will be provided a confirmation number at the end of the payment transaction and your credit card statement will provide proof of your payment. The payment and return data are reconciled by the IRS based on the social security number entered and the type of tax selected during the transaction.

Can I pay my balance due by phone or internet with a credit card if I’m a “married filing joint” filer?

Yes. Just be sure to enter the Social Security Number of the first taxpayer listed on the return pre-printed mailing label, postcard or Form.

What happens if my return is filed electroically. I am receiving a refund, and I owe taxes from previous years?

The amount owed on back taxes is automatically deducted from your refund just as if you filed a paper return.

If my return is electronic, How do I sign it?

The most convenient way for you to sign your electronic return is to use a self-selected Personal Identification Number (PIN). It completely paperless! The taxpayer selects the PIN. If you do not choose to use a PIN, you simply sign a signature document, Form 8453-OL, U.S. Individual Income Tax Declaration for an IRS e-file Return. If your return contains an attachment required to be submitted to IRS, you must use Form 8453-OL.

What is the self-select PIN method?

The Self-Select PIN method allows you to personally sign your electronic tax return using a five-digit number. The Self-Select PIN method serves as your signature and actually takes the place of Form 8453-OL. The process includes self-selecting a five-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) and entering your Adjusted Gross Income from your prior year (TY2002) originally filed income tax return. [This amount is not the amount from an amended tax return (Form 1040X), a corrected amount from a math error notice, or a changed amount from IRS]. The AGI is on Line 35 of Form 1040, Line 21 of Form 1040A, Line 4 of Form 1040EZ or Line I of the TeleFile Tax Record. You should ensure your Date of Birth is accurate and matches the information in Social Security Administration (SSA) files prior to e-filing by checking your SSA statement entitled, “Your Social Security Statement.

How do I know that the IRS really has my return?

The IRS notifies your Authorized IRS e-file Provider within 48 hours of transmission that your return information was received. If the IRS detects any errors, it sends a message back to the Authorized IRS e-file Provider indicating the error. The error is corrected and the return is retransmitted to the IRS.

Do I have a greater chance of getting audited by the IRS if I use IRS e-file?

No. The chance of an audit of an e-filed return is no greater than with a paper return.

Can my state tax return be e-filed with my federal return at the same time?
Yes. TaxEngine.com offers e-filing of all state tax returns.

Can my state return be e-filed without my federal return?
Yes, most states allow you to file just your state return with or without your federal return.

Where can I get additional information about IRS e-file?
Visit the IRS web site www.irs.gov/efile

*This information taken from IRS publication 3007

Scroll to Top